Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SNAP: Kathy Griffin



Dear Kathy,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. It all began when I first saw you on Suddenly Susan. Brooke Shields was supposed to be the selling point for the show, but I tuned in for the funny red headed sidekick. From there it was on to the Bravo specials. Your stand up routines had me holding my stomach and wiping my tears of laughter at the same time. Your humor had me convinced that you gave birth to a love child long ago, and not wanting children, you handed me off to my "mother" for a chance at a normal life.

When your reality show premiered I invited my inner circle of gays (and hags) over for cocktails. Maybe other people were clueless, but I smelled that Emmy from episode one. My tivo became a mass storage device for all things Kathy Griffin. My life on the D-list, the Bravo Specials, Kathy on the View... It was all there. I became almost like Tom Cruise for Scientology... Except I was spreading the word of Kathy to all that would listen.

For the five years I lived in Seattle, I saw you three times live. The last show will remain forever fresh in my memory because my friend I took laughed so hard she hit her head on the chair in front of her in a fit of laughter. Another convert.

All this pales in comparison to what you did for me today. After missing out on meeting you (courtesy of DHL) I was left with a feeling of sadness. It wasn't the radio stations fault and DHL just shrugged me off. I decided to take matters into my own hands. Using my powers of networking, bribing and a quick hand job in a dark alley, I tracked down your assistant Jessica and wrote her an email. The angel that she is... She was able to have you call me. Not only that, but I was left with a promise of tickets next time you return to Boston. To steal a line from you "Suck it Jesus! Kathy is my god now!"

I just have to send out a GIANT thank you to Jessica. You made my year! I can't even write a funny post about this, because I'm too giddy to be funny right now. When you come back to Boston... I owe you a drink, or jewelry or I dunno- I just owe you!


No comments: